Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Reminscence (for Reminiscence)

"Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories." This could only come from the mind of Steven Wright. To add my own Wrightesque original, "When I was young I read nothing but science fiction. Now that I'm an old man I keep reminiscing about the future." Reminscence is the sort of typo that made this group what it is - a missing 'i' at the end of a long and common word. This error is found in the D, or Low Probability section of Typographical errors in library databases at http://faculty.quinnipiac.edu/libraries/tballard/typoscomplete.html , meaning that it was found at least twice but not more than 7 times in OhioLINK at the time of its discovery. This morning, we found none. It is common for these hit counts to go down once they are identified, since catalogers in Ohio follow our work. We found 20 of them in WorldCat this morning, so there is a chance that the error will be in your catalog.

Today's photo shows a statue of Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn in Hannibal, Missouri. The original can be found at http://www.pbase.com/terryballard/image/102944746


No comments: