Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Lvoe* (for Love*)

There are a lot of ways to spell love, according to Alvy Singer in the movie Annie Hall ("I lurve you, I loave you, I luff you...") and a lot of ways to sell it too. I am especially fond of the phrase "pitching woo." It sort of sounds like what it is ("Woo hoo, I'll pitch, you catch!") or perhaps, a bit more ominously: "Let me pitch you this idea, sweetheart, and if you like it, there might be a bridge in Brooklyn I could sell you." The typo Lvoe* casts its spell eight times in OhioLINK, which makes it one of relatively low probability. (But often, just when you least expect it, look out below!) Lovers sometimes look (or feel) as if they're all elbows, but even with a couple of wings thrown into the mix, no mere physical impediment, it seems, can get in the way of true love.

(Cupid and Psyche, 1817, from Wikimedia Commons. As usual, click the pic for a closer look.)

Carol Reid

No comments: