Friday, January 25, 2013

Preceed* (for Preced* or Proceed*)

Sometimes I feel big, see,
And sometimes I feel small,
Sometimes I feel adamant,
And sometimes not at all.

Seeds come with the seasons,
Though cede they not an inch,
A plante is often preferable,
But sedes do in a pinch.

C's also short for century,
A neat one hundred years,
While not a grade to celebrate,
It hardly leads to tears.

The C is round and curvy, but
Musicians like them sharp,
Just like the giant instrument
We all know as the harp....

Hey, I could go on all day here, probably, so let me just add that C is the third letter of the English alphabet, and the first letter of my own first name. Although my parents-to-be played around a bit with other possibilities (Alice? Rebecca?), I was actually sort of pre-C'd by default. Each of us being the eldest in our families, my mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, and I all carry some form of Carol in our names. Let's proceed now to precede (don't even get me started on supersede) and point out that there were an amazing 233 cases of today's typo in OhioLINK, and "too many records found for your search" in WorldCat. Please intercede on its behalf and see that it's spelled as it should be.

(Latin letter C, from Wikimedia Commons.)

Carol Reid

No comments: